Implementing a Secondary Reading-Writing Workshop on Day 1

Last semester, I began a workshop model (see previous blogposts[NE1] [NE2] ) after Thanksgiving Break. Now that last Thursday marked the first day of the second semester (on an intensified block schedule), I knew I needed to begin the workshop model from Day 1.

How I Prepped

·         I had reviewed my standards and assessments (see my previous blogpost) and recreated my unit packets. (Aside: My “packets” include notes for student reference and planning guides, not drill-and-kill handouts; the word “packet” has so many negative connotations, but I use them as organization for my students). I was able to maintain my class notes and many assessments (with some additions and adjustments).
·         I organized a Google Classroom with a daily work log and an initial reading/writing reflection (What stories do you like? What do you use writing for? An a diagnostic assignment on a written analysis of a short story read at the start of class).
·         I created a reading log bookmark that will help students divide a novel into twenty days of reading, inspired by Berit Gordon’s (@beritgordon) No More Fake Reading. I know twenty days may actually be too much time, but I wanted to start here so as not to aim too stretch us too far as I’m figuring this out still, too.
·         I redesigned my syllabus (from a gamified course to a workshop model; I am not ready to do both right now), outlining the class structure and expectations.

Day 1 Plan

·         First 15 minutes: I’m not ready for open seating yet, so I assigned seats and placed a syllabus, a parent letter (with signature page), and a short story or article (short story for my Honors 9 class, and an article for my Academic 10 class; I’m beginning with different concepts). As students entered the room, I instructed them to find their seat and begin reading. If they finished before the first 10 or 15 minutes, I asked them to peruse the other materials.
·         Middle 40 minutes: I introduced myself and dove into the syllabus. I did not read through it, but rather used it as a guide. I explained that we would be reading and writing every day. It was here where I explained that I think many students enter high school and manage through English courses because they can read and write, and they can throw words on a page, or they can muddle through a class discussion, or they can “fake” read well enough to pass every year—but that this does not actually improve their reading and writing ability. From here, I discussed our daily class outline (leisure read, mini-lesson, workshop). Students sniggered as I mentioned how I know not everyone reads every novel we assign, and more than one were excited to have time to read in class.
·         Final 25 minutes: I assigned each student a number. I have a calculator pocket chart mounted to the wall, and each student placed his or her phone in their numbered slot (we have a stricter cell phone policy in this building, so this helps reduce distractions and infractions). I then had them retrieve a Chromebook from the cart (that matches their number) and join our Google Classroom. From there, I asked them to complete the First Reflection assignment. Some finished in class, others needed to finish it on their own. I asked students to bring a novel next class to read if they had one at home: otherwise, our goal next class will be to find one from the classroom or school library.

My second class meeting will involve some other Google Classroom organization (opening their copy of their daily work log), selecting a novel, and beginning to read. This will set us up for our first real mini-lesson on Day 3.

I’m really excited on the energy and direction so far, and I also look forward to increasing my students’ reading volume!


Comments

  1. I look forward to reading your journey into workshop. This is a new to me and I've been struggling all school year trying to figure out how it works for me. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Constructing Standards-Based Rubrics in the Secondary ELA Classroom

Students E-mailing Home

Developing Learning Targets for Power Standards