The State of My Readers-Writers Workshop

This week is our Spring Break, so it’s the perfect time for me to reflect on the workshop practices in my high school English Language Arts classes. For those who have been following my journey into workshoping, much of this will be familiar; however, this blog will also highlight many of the revisions I’ve made since its inception. This is a bit lengthy, but I hope it can be of some assistance.

CLASS STRUCTURE

I divide my class into three sections, as follows:
·         15 minutes of independent reading time. Students enter the room, rearrange the desks as their class decided upon, and settle into reading their self-selected novel.
·         20 minutes of direct instruction. This may be modeling a reading strategy, modeling writing, lecturing on a new topic, or reviewing the expectations of an assignment. My co-teachers and I may ask questions and engage the class at this time, but often it is direct instruction, and sometimes only lasts ten or fifteen minutes. There are days, however, when we spend a bit more time depending on the content, but this happens on average less than once every week.
·         45 minutes of readers-writers workshop, where students work on their various assignments and I can conference with students to provide clarifications and feedback.

I had asked students in each class to redesign the classroom layout after about six weeks of running this model so students would know how our physical environment may assist our process. I, personally, would not begin the year by having students arrange the room, but I have enjoyed this process and ownership once students knew how class would run each day.

INDEPENDENT READING AND OUR CLASSROOM LIBRARY

At the very start of the semester, I provided a full day for students to peruse books in our classroom library and the school library. I have not read all of the young adult books in my room, but I have familiarized myself with their content or genre to best recommend stories to students.

Favorites as of late have included the following (in no particular order):
·         Red Rising series by Pierce Brown
·         Wolf by Wolf duology by Ryan Graudin
·         All American Boys, the Ghost series, and Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds
·         Survival Colony 9 duology by Joshua David Bellin
·         Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
·         Scythe by Neal Shusterman
·         One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
·         Turtles All the Way Down, The Fault in Our Stars, and Paper Towns by John Green
·         Booked and The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

As Department Chair, I was able to budget $200 per English teacher to spend on Amazon.com this past school year (and I submitted the same budget request for this year). This has helped build our classroom libraries (since our school library funding is minimal). Rather than order more class sets of texts, we opted for this route. I know this is not possible for all schools, but any focus on individual classroom libraries does increase student reading since the books are right there.

I do not yet have a great system for checking out books. We tried using a Google Form, but I was not on top of the consistency. I think I may go back to a standard pen-and-paper list next  to our book rack where students can write their name and the book title, along with the date it was taken out and the date returned.

Also, I ask my students to read at least one novel every twenty calendar days. When they take a new book, they also complete the bookmark (shown below). Some students will read faster, but many students are proud that they are “ahead of schedule” (since most books over twenty days may only require ten pages a day, and with fifteen minutes each day already in class, students exceed their goals: bonus!). Students submit the bookmark to me upon completion, and select a new book.


For my Honors classes, we asked them to post a brief review (“You’d like this book if you like…”) on Padlet, but I have not been consistent in ensuring everyone posts. However, students are beginning to casually recommend books to one another! I will need a better system moving forward.

There is no final project or task with each novel; read one novel, then begin another.

MINI-LESSONS

When I teach “skills” (analyzing setting, characters, and so forth), I will model reading with a mentor text (often a classic) and then (the next day) model my written response (typed in real-time and projected and/or posted on Google Classroom) before asking students to analyze their text. I was much more explicit and consistent with this approach at the start of the semester. As the semester continues, my mini-lessons include grammar clarifications and reviews of how to craft strong claims in analysis paragraphs. I still model, but not as often as I did in the beginning of the semester.

These mini-lessons may also include some content: an overview of Greco-Roman mythology, an introduction to propaganda techniques, and so on.

READERS-WRITERS WORKSHOP

Amy Rasmussen (@amyrass) does this much better than I do (see her blog post “So You Don’t Think Workshop Works? 5 Reasons You are Wrong”), but my goal here to is showcase my process on getting to where I am.

My 45 minutes of workshop provides students time in class to read and write—and I’ve been increasing collaboration (earlier in the semester, it was silent workshop time, but it was starting to creep me out).

Each of my students has a Google Doc Daily Agenda/Work-log where they enumerate what that hope to accomplish that day. We have been working on sub-dividing tasks and also returning to the list to specify what we actually accomplished. This is an on-going process in touching base with students and showing them how to sub-divide and reflect.



Workshop includes the following:
·         Students will work at least ten minutes every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday on our vocabulary program, Membean.com
·         Students can work on a few diagnostic assessments or lessons (all formative) on GrammarFlip.com
·         Students will work on any of our writing assignments (sometimes balancing two or three over the course of a few days with staggered deadlines).
·         Some students use this time to continue reading, but I do step in if a student is using reading to avoid writing or producing.

I initially thought I could hold mini-conferences with five students a day. I have since decided two a day would suffice. I can still touch base with many more, a meaningful but conversation would need more time. I sometimes will have a discussion with more than two per day, but other days include spot-checks and two full conferences. I leave conference notes in their agenda, and we can discuss whatever the student would like: a past assignment to revise, a current assignment that is causing confusion, or they can talk with me about their independent reading novel.



FEEDBACK AND SCORING

I originally started leaving assignment-specific notes next to each learning target for that unit in the student’s work log. This proved very time-intensive and required a lot of navigating. As of late, I have shifted to just leaving comments next to each student’s daily agenda.

In the future, I will probably list the learning targets for the unit and ask students to add what assignment aligns to that standard, when it is due, and record their score on it.

I also finally created a checklist feedback rubric for written assignments that I mentioned earlier. Rather than leaving descriptive feedback, I had been just scoring assignments, and then discussing writing with students during workshop—they could call me over to review an assignment before editing it, or I would bring it up during our conferences. All written assignments can be revised, especially since I am no longer copy-editing. My revised rubric has a list of writing skills with descriptions, and I plan to check at least one aspect the student did well, and one aspect a student should focus on in the future (or for their revision). It looks a bit intimidating, so I still have to see how it works once I implement it!

Grade
Analysis Criteria
Your Score
A
·          Claim is clear, complete, and specific.
·          Citations are accurate and relevant to the claim.
·          Claim and citation are clearly and effectively cemented through analysis.

B
·          Claim is partially clear, complete, and specific.
·          Citations are somewhat accurate and relevant to the claim.
·          Claim and citation are cemented through analysis.

C
·          Claim is present but not fully focused.
·          Citations are minimally utilized.
·          Claim and citation are minimally cemented.

D
·          Claim relates minimally to the task.
·          Citations are lacking.
·          Claim and citation are poorly cemented.

F
·          The response is unfocused or contains insufficient information to demonstrate comprehension.

You’re Doing Well Here
Concept
Work to Improve on This

Claim:
·          An effective claim opens the paragraph and directly addresses what you are writing about.
·          An effective claim does not use general words like “good,” “bad,” or “important.” Claims take a stance or argue a point.
·          Claims can sometimes be strengthened when they begin with an introductory clause (“Although…,” “While…,” etc.)


Evidence and Citations:
·          If you are analyzing a piece of literature, you should be able to provide word-for-word text from the source in your own writing.
·          Effective evidence matches the argument of your claim (and is a good example of your claim).


Formatting Quotes:
·          Quotes should be introduced in your writing (they should not be their own sentence). For example, you may write:
o    In the story, the character “jumped off the bridge.”
·          If you are including a page number, that appears in parentheses at the end of the quote:
o    The character is described as “mischievous” (32).


Cement and Analysis:
·          True analysis includes what we can call “cement”: How does the quote/evidence/citation attach to your claim? Strong analysis will include at least one (though more may be needed) sentence explaining how that quote proves the claim.
·          A statement like “This proves the claim” is not cement. Strong analysis discusses specific parts of the quote and explores the results of the example: what effect does that evidence have on the characters, story, or understanding?


Conclusion Sentence:
·          A conclusion sentence should not begin with “This is why…” or “These are…”
·          A strong conclusion sentence explores the effect of the information in the article, or suggests what might happen if another argument was taken. Rather than just being a final sentence, a conclusion should do something new with the information explored in the paragraph (or transition to your next paragraph in a longer essay).


Listing:
·          Effective lists use a comma after each item, with a coordinating conjunction (often the word “and”) before the last item.
o    Example: Nicola was taking English, Earth Science, History, and Pool first semester.


Compound Sentences:
·          Compound sentences link two full sentences. A comma is added after the first sentence (to replace the period), and then a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) is added. Use compound sentences to mix up your sentence structures.
o    Example: I wanted to go to the movies, but my grandmother wouldn’t let me.
·          Avoid comma splices: these are when two sentences are combined only with a comma. To fix these, simply add the coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).


Introductory Clauses:
·          When beginning your sentence with a subordinating conjunction (After, Although, When, While, Before, Because, If, Since), be sure you finish the opening clause with a comma. The words after the comma should be a full sentence on their own.
o    Example: Because I hate clowns, I never go to the circus.


Appositives:
·          Appositives are when we rename a noun. To do this, a comma is added after the noun, then the noun is renamed or clarified, then another comma is added before the sentence continues. Appositives help clarify the people and things in sentences.
o    Example: My teacher, Mr. Emmanuele, is weird.


Semi-Colons:
·          Semi-colons are used to link to full sentences. They are effectively used when a full sentence is both before and after a semi-colon. However, the second sentence does not need to begin with a capital letter. Semi-colons show that there is some connection between the two sentences, sometimes even a cause-and-effect structure.
o    Example: I ate blue taffy; my tongue is now blue.
·          Semi-colons can also be used in lists. If at least one item in the list uses a comma, we can no longer use commas to separate each item. Instead, use semi-colons after each item in the list.
o    Example: The Avengers include Iron Man; Bruce Banner, the Hulk; and Captain America.


Active and Passive Voice:
·          Active voice creates sentences where the person or thing doing the action is very clear. Usually these sentence begin with a noun followed by a verb.
o    Example: Monsters made noises in the trees. (This is active because we know that the monsters are the ones making the noise.)
·          Passive voice hides the person doing the action. Usually, we see sentences with the word “was” or “were.” If we can add the goofy phrase “by zombies” at the end of the sentence, there is a good chance the sentence is in passive voice.
o    Example: Noises were heard from the trees. (This is passive because we don’t know who is making the noises.)


Parallel Structure:
·          Parallel structure ensures that all verbs or phrases in the sentence are in the same form, especially in a list.
o    Example: The thief ran, dashed, jumped, and careened out of sight.
o    Example: The thief ran over the fence, up the wall, across the roof, then down the tree.


Colons:
·          One use of a colon is to introduce a list. However, a full sentence must appear before a colon in this use.
o    Example: I ate way too much for lunch: a sandwich, fries, a bag of chips, and apple, and candy.
·          A second use of colon is to introduce a new big idea. In this construction, a full sentence must appear both before and after the colon. However, the second sentence does not need to begin with a capital letter. Here, the colon is like a spotlight on the second sentence.
o    My grandfather always gave me good advice: treat others the way you want to be treated.


Moving ahead, I’d love to create some instructional videos (follow @EastonA1 and Andrew Easton’s blog for high-quality teacher-produced individualized learning videos!) to link to the rubric (since I drop it into Google Docs) to re-teach students on certain stylistic or grammatical moves.

COMMUNICATION HOME

We had begun e-mailing home every Wednesday, but I just shifted to e-mailing every other Wednesday. This process is awesome, but requires instruction and refinement. As we strengthen our daily agendas—and now that students will have items checked off in every rubric of what they did well and what to focus on next time—students will have more to reflect on. I remind students that these e-mails home are as much for them as their parents. I also plan to begin responding to e-mails, especially to give some shout-outs and to note any missing assignments or concerns as they arise. I have received many positive responses from parents, and expanding the connection between home and school has proven fruitful.

WHAT NEXT?

For those interested in implementing any of these procedures, I encourage you to read my blog from the start to see my thoughts, implementations, changes, hesitations, progression, and frustrations. Everyone who does any of these steps will tell you it can be a process. However, I began in November with my first semester (intensified-block) students and ran it for a month or so until the end of the semester (and it looked very different with all assignments provided up-front). Then, in mid-January, I implemented this from the start for second semester on Day 1. Jumping in has been the best process, but I did spend almost a year reading and thinking and bouncing ideas.

All of this started, I must add, in an attempt to shift to a standards-based learning and grading (#sblchat) approach. To that end, I realized I needed a different organizational structure first. I settled on the workshop method to better provide formative feedback and foster reflection. As I refine my procedures here, I will be focusing on better reporting learning to standards (and changing more of my scoring policies) next school 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Constructing Standards-Based Rubrics in the Secondary ELA Classroom

Students E-mailing Home

Rubrics as Gradeless Feedback Guides